BLESSING AND NAMING OF THE GERALDTON BELLS
ST FRANCIS XAVIER CATHEDRAL, GERALDTON

On Sunday 21 April 2019, at 10.30am, the Most Reverend Michael Morrissey, Bishop of Geraldton, blessed the new 27 bell carillon to be called The Geraldton Bells.

Many of the bell donors were present for the blessing ceremony and gave the name of a saint to their respective bells and “baptized” them with holy water.

The largest bell of the carillon, weighing in at 1059kg, and donated by Mr Laith Reynolds, was named “Big” Peter, in remembrance of the original “Big” Peter bell that was obtained by Monsignor Hawes and installed in the Cathedral on 23 August 1923.

In comparison with “Big” Peter, the smallest bell comes in at a mere 36kg.

Eight of the bells originate from the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Godalming in Surrey, England, with the metal in some of the Godalming bells dating to the 12th century. The remaining nineteen bells were cast in the past twelve months at the John Taylor Bell Foundry, Loughborough, England.

Here are some interesting facts about The Geraldton Bells:

  • First 2 Octave carillon with 3 slow swinging bells in the world.
  • Is tuned to Modern Concert Pitch
  • Only carillon and operating system of its type in the Southern Hemisphere.
  • Will be a unique mix of ancient and modern:
    • 12th  century and new bells
    • Full IT control
      • Can be played through the internet
      • Will have a wifi keyboard capable of being played from Cathedral Forecourt
      • Will link to organ keyboard
  • It is planned to ring the bells daily at Midday and 6pm, as well striking the hour between 8am and 6pm
  • The bells will be available to hire commemorate events.

After the blessing ceremony the bells were taken down to the foreshore (cnr of Cathedral Avenue and Foreshore Drive) to be on public display at the Wind on Water Festival.

The bells are expected to be installed into the Cathedral’s towers in May or June.

 

IMG00871
IMG0090
IMG0091
IMG0092
IMG0093
IMG0094
IMG0095
IMG0096
IMG0097
IMG0098

Vision Statement

We are:

* a welcoming community which reaches out to all
* celebrating Christ's presence
* joyfully living out our Christian calling across distance and diversity

This vision states that as a Diocese, we aim to be a welcoming, missionary, centred on Christ, and each striving to live one's particular vocation. It is in living out our calling that we praise God, follow Christ, influence society and achieve the goal of eternal life won for us by Christ. In the parishes we have encouraged people to measure whatever they do against this Diocesan vision.

************************
Catholic Diocese
of GERALDTON
************************

7 Maitland Street
PO Box 46
Geraldton WA 6531

Chancery Ph: +61 8 9921 3221

Cathedral Parish Ph: +61 8 9964 1608 (diverts a/hrs)